Sunday, July 1, 2012

mint and gold bedroom set

When I lost out of the One Artsy Mama craft competition I was so sad. I had been looking forward to the stencil round the entire competition and I didn't even get to participate. After loosing I decided I would still complete my stencil project on my own so here it is! For my latest upcycle project I stenciled a headboard and antique trunk which would be included in a full sized bedroom set upcycle. I found all of the furniture included at garage sales I found this headboard and footboard at a garage sale for $20 dollars.


I found these night stands for $6 dollars a piece.
 I also found this dresser for another $20 dollars.

I had all the furniture I needed for a full size bedroom set. Now all I needed was some inspiration.
I was on my way home from garage saleing one Saturday morning when I saw a sign that had not been up when I passed by earlier. I decided to stop and found this amazing old trunk and these two whicker ottomans. I paid $3 dollars for the trunk and $1 dollar a piece for the ottomans! $5 dollars for all of it! GREAT STEAL!
I love the paper on the inside of the trunk too!
 With this, I had my inspiration. I wanted to do a bedset that was a shade lighter than the old trunk with white and gold accents. After I picked out my paint color I got to work.
I used a deglosser to rough up my surface and help my paint adhere a little better. A deglosser is a liquid that cuts out your sanding step and saves you lots of time! Then I primed, painted and glazed each piece of furniture. I also decided I wanted to do a stencil on my headboard and old trunk so I ran over to my neighbors and designed a stencil on her Sure Cuts A Lot. I really wish this program was still around! Then we used freezer paper and cut my stencil design out with her Cricut machine. 
I used freezer paper because it can be ironed on to almost anything! After bringing my stencil home I ironed it onto my headboard and the top of my trunk.
Make sure all of your edges are ironed down really good that way the paint can't sneak under them. I used a Martha Stewart pearl gold metallic paint and dabbed it on to give it a textured look.


After your done painting your stencil on take your paper off right away. I made the mistake of waiting too long on the trunk and my paint came off with my stencil. I had to go make another stencil and re paint it on.
  
My final step was to put a clear coat over the top of all my furniture and I was done! 
Here are my before and after pictures.
Before
After



Before
After



Before 
 After

 Before


After


I love the colors and how everything turned out.  My original plan was to fix it up and sell it but I am so tempted to keep it! It's a little too big for my guest bedroom though! So sad! 
Thank you for reading and I hope you all will stop by and join us over at Garage Sales R Us!


7 comments:

  1. LOVE it!! I am in love with it all....and how about that trunk, what a great deal!

    I didn't make it past the fabric round of the crafty contest, but I was sure voting for you along the way!

    Great job!! And awesome inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to come garage sale-ing with you! I never find anything like that in Orlando!! I am obsessed with the mint colour right now and that bedroom set is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks AMAZING! let's go garage saleing ;) i feel like we could do some serious damage haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin! Great finds and beautiful makeovers! I don't blame you for wanting to keep them. They are all gorgeous pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, there! Thanks for visiting me and following Sister-Dipity. It was funny to get your blog message because I just got home from a day out with my sister and all of our kids. On the way home from our outting I was begging her to go garage saleing with me tomorrow! We were figuring out how to do it with or without the kids! Then I came home and saw my message from you here at Garage Sales R Us! :) I think it is a sign. I love your blog and this bedroom set you re-did is amazing! Super cool and very inspirational! I am your new follower!

    -Rebecca
    www.sister-dipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been on here for a good hour just reading all your posts and so I figured I should leave a comment! I love love love your blog, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post with beautiful pictures. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information, I maintain such information a lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    Thanks & Regards,
    antique furniture

    ReplyDelete