TutorialsPhotobucketSponsorsPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Final Reveal

DRESSER REVEAL
Anyone remember this dresser? I finally finished it!
I had a few friends call me and tell me they loved the dresser the way it was but I knew this dresser could be SO MUCH more!

BEFORE

AFTER

I listed it on craigslist and it sold in 3.5 hours!

MY PROCESS
Before you paint any project you should do a little bit of sanding. However, sanding can be a very time consuming and teadious step. I have always dreaded the step of sanding a project and many times haven't started or even finished a project because it needed sanding. With a liquid deglosser such as this one sanding is simple and easy. All you have to do is wipe it on and your done! I LOVE deglosser. It has honestly made my life so much easier!
After using my deglosser I primed and painted my dresser.
and primed and painted the doors
Then gave it two coats of glaze.
Glaze is a great way to give your dresser some character and make it look old. All you do is paint it on with a paint brush and then wipe it off. If you want your project heavily glazed let your coat of glaze sit of a few minutes. I let mine sit for 10 minutes. If you start wiping the glaze off and you think is too much DO NOT get your rag wet! Just continue wiping with your dry rag using a little more pressure. doing this will help you to work out some of the glaze and give you glaze a more even look. If you get your rag wet your glaze will look uneven.

DOORS
For the doors I simply cut out paintable wall paper, used a Martha Stewart metallic silver paint on it found at Home Depot and applied it right on top of the glass mirrors.

HARDWARE
I also spray painted the existing hardware of the dresser to keep my cost down.
I used a silver metallic Rust-oleum spray also found at Lowes or Home Depot.

WHAT I LEARNED
With each project I learn something new. Here is what I learned.

1. When you take off cabinet doors ALWAYS take the bottom hinge off first! I knew this before I started but ignored this piece of advice when I was taking the doors off the dresser. When I took the top hinge off my door fell forward bending the bottom hinge and ruining it. I am just happy the hinges were the wrong color anyway and I was planning on replacing them in the first place

2. You can not spray paint hinges! My hinges were gold and I needed them to be silver. I tried spray painted them like I did the hardware but every time you open the door the hinge strips the paint.

3. You can paint your paintable wall paper before applying it! I did have to go back and repaint over it a little bit because some of it came off but it was much faster than painting it, waiting for it to dry and then applying it.


1 comment: